Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Party - Part 2: the weapons!

No Ninja Turtle party is complete without weapons, right?  Right.  Here's what I did:


I took 2 small pool noodles and cut them in half.  Then, I used 3 foam pipe insulators (can be found in the plumbing section of any hardware store, or Walmart) and after removing the yellow plastic inside, stuck the two sides together, so that it was a complete tube too.  I cut those foam pipes into thirds, so that I ended up with 9 pieces.  You will need 2 per child, or man-child.  Whoever you've got coming.


Next, I painted the pool noodles brown.  I did 4 of these and 1 can of spray paint was barely enough.  In fact, I still had some of the green showing through, so I think 2 cans would have been better.  (Or, maybe I shouldn't have sprayed the grass so much.)  Let them dry thoroughly.


Lastly, I wrapped electrician's tape around the noodle, like a spiral, then around the top and bottom.  Now, you've got a perfectly good staff, just like Donatello uses!


Back to your insulated tubing that you cut earlier, I took some chain that I had from my hanging plant days, and separated about 4 links per set of nunchucks.  I was going to just hook the chain through one side on each end to attach, but my dad decided to take over the project and put a wire through the foam, then attached the chain to the wire.  Whatever you prefer to do is fine as long as you don't have any sharp edges poking out that could injure someone or put an eye out.  You could also wrap electrician's tape around the top and bottom border of this weapon too, but I kinda forgot.  So, mine are plain.


Voila!  Michelangelo's nunchucks are complete!

I also made some green slime for the kids to take home and play with.  It's so simple to make, but I forgot to take pictures.  The instructions are here.  


Upcoming:  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Party - Part 3:  the Food




No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me