Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Homemade Canned Gifts: Day Two - Spicy Pickled Carrots

I recently found myself with an abundance of carrots, from a juicing experiment gone horribly wrong.  So, before I found myself with 10 pounds of rotting carrots, I thought I'd better put them to use.  My entire family (excluding myself) loves spicy foods, so I thought this sounded like the perfect solution.



Spicy Pickled Carrots
recipe slightly adapted from here

1 1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. water
2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 lb. carrots, sliced (some of the small carrots I left as sticks, and then I also shredded some to make a relish of sorts.  Totally up to you!)
1/2 lb. daikon radish or other veggie (I used purple radishes, cauliflower and okra)
6 jalapenos (I also used a couple of hotter peppers that I found)
1 onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, slightly crushed
1 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
2- 16 oz. glass jars with lids


  1. Prepare your water bath for canning.
  2. Wash your jars and lids in hot soapy water.  Let dry.
  3. Bring to a boil, vinegar, water, sugar and salt, until sugar and salt have dissolved.
  4. While your vinegar mix is cooking, wash and cut your veggies to your preference.  (Please remember to use caution when cooking with hot peppers.  I treat them like a contagion.  Rubber gloves, mask, protective eye wear, etc.)
  5. Fill each jar with the peppercorns, garlic and veggies.
  6. Fill each jar with the liquid and secure lids and rings to fingertip tightness.
  7. Process each jar for 10 minutes.  Place on counter to cool, and do the happy dance when all your jars have popped.


I had a LOT of carrots, so obviously I doubled and quadrupled this recipe, until all my vinegar was gone.  Poo.  Anyway, I came away with 15 half pint jars when the night was done, and still had enough veggies to do twice that again.  (sigh)

I did 2 jars of shredded carrots and radishes to make a relish.  These, I did not process in a water bath, but instead moved directly to the fridge for them to chill.  I'm imagining throwing the relish on a hot dog at some point.  I also did one jar of strictly okra, because I love me some pickled okra!  And, I did one jar of carrot sticks, instead of sliced.  All in all, I think it turned out well, and I hope it's a nice addition to the other gifts I'm making.

Check back with me tomorrow for-

Day Three:  Apple Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me