Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall Baking and Apple Coffee Cake

Even though it is September, and there was that one morning last week where I had to have my seat warmer on, it really doesn't feel like fall in north Texas.  It was 96 today.  Ugh.  Nevertheless, I have decided to plunge ahead into everything autumnal, and with any luck, the weather will follow me in.

My pinterest searches of late, have to do with halloween and Thanksgiving crafts that R and I can do together.  I'm looking at Thanksgiving recipes and cute halloween treats.  I've also been whipping up some pumpkin spice lattes, although I think the ginger I'm using might be a little too coarse.  So, I'm definitely ready for fall.  And, in honor of that, this weekend I made a delightful apple coffee cake.  I didn't change the recipe much.  Just a tweak here and there....

Apple Coffee Cake
adapted slightly SimplyRecipes.com

 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 5 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 medium Cortland or other baking apple, peeled and sliced (I chopped mine)

Method

1 Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with or pie pan with a 4-cup capacity. (I used 2 small loaf pans)
2 In a medium bowl, whisk vigorously together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3 In a separate small bowl, mix 1/4 a cup of the sugar with the cinnamon, set aside. (I added all this to the batter)
4 Using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat in the egg until blended. Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk, beating after each addition until just combined.
5 Pour half of the batter in the bottom of the baking dish. Lay the apple slices on the batter so they just cover the batter (you may have to overlap some slices). Sprinkle the apples with the cinnamon-sugar mixture, reserving a teaspoon or two to sprinkle on top. Spread the rest of the batter over the apples. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar on top. (I added the chopped apples to the batter, and mixed it all together.  I also mixed up some brown sugar, 2 T butter and oats, to sprinkle on to of the loaves.)
6 Bake the cake for 25 minutes or until it is golden brown and apples start to bubble at the edges. (I baked for about 20 min)



Overall, they turned out pretty good.  I didn't get a chance to cut them open, because I have a standing order for breakfast food every Sunday.  But, I'm sure they were beautiful on the inside too!

I have much more fall baking to do, so be prepared.  Also, next month I'll be posting a Harry Potter week of food and fun.  Be sure to stop by!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me