Sunday, July 15, 2012

Magic Mike and Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Let's talk movies.  I love movies!  I get to escape the real world for a couple of hours and be entertained at the same time.  It's a win/win!  I love comedies, action, drama, sci-fi, romance...eh, not so much on that one, but most anything that isn't a horror movie, and I'm there.  I even saw The Artist, which is a silent film, and loved it. 


 So, as any red blooded American woman would do, I happily plunked down my hard earned money to watch Matthew McConaughey and Channing Tatum strip down in Magic Mike.  (Ok, so I wanted to see Joe Manganiello too.)  I was expecting to see hot ass, and that's what I got!  Unfortunately, that was all I got.  Now, I like a good strip tease as much as the next girl (and, I can TOTALLY see Tatum stripping in his former profession...he is extremely good at it, and perhaps should consider going back to it), but...as in all relationships, I was kind of hoping for a little more.  Maybe an actual plot that didn't suck?   Obviously, I was asking too much.  <sigh>

Also, as in relationships, when you're disappointed in one area, chocolate is always a comforting friend to turn to.  These chocolate covered strawberries rock.  I didn't really use a recipe.  I just kinda winged it.  Here's what I did.


First, I washed and dried these beautiful summer berries.  Delish by themselves, but everything is better with chocolate!  While these were drying, I heated up the chocolate.  You can use a double broiler or the microwave.  Be very careful with the microwave though, or it will cook your chocolate.  I used probably half bittersweet chocolate, and half semi-sweet. 


Once that was melted and the strawberries were dry, I was ready for dipping!  At first I tried sticking toothpicks into the strawberries, then after dipping, I stuck them in an upside down colander to dry.  That way, they wouldn't get that flat side on one side of the chocolate.  But, after doing a few, I decided to heck with it.  They were going to be on a platter anyway!  It's totally up to you.



After the chocolate was dry, I heated up some white chocolate to drizzle over the top.  I used a parchment cone to do this, but you could easily use a spoon, piping bag or bottle.  Whatever you prefer.

A few things to remember.  These are best made the day of your event/snacking.  After a while, the strawberries start to leak their juices, which in turn makes the chocolate a little juicy.  Still good eats, but not as pretty.  Also, WAIT for Magic Mike to come out on Blu-Ray/DVD.  Then, you can just watch the first 30 min of the movie and not torture yourself with the rest of it.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me